Cod is the star in a number of Portuguese dishes, the flagship in numerous eating places in Lisbon and Porto. The preparations with fish in Portuguese delicacies are different – yet another scrumptious than the opposite. And, not being a vegetarian traveller, a visit to Portuguese lands wouldn’t be full with out not less than one meal with the well-known fish.
On this submit, we convey you all the pieces it’s good to learn about cod. What are the most effective cod recipes? The place to eat cod in Lisbon? The very best eating places to eat codfish in Porto? Why do Portuguese eat a lot codfish (70 thousand tons yearly 😱)? Is cod a single fish? The solutions to all these questions are under.
Codfish in Portugal: the 7 most well-known dishes
It’s a troublesome mission to record all of the totally different cod recipes in Portuguese delicacies. However right here we point out a few of the preparations that we like probably the most – and, after all, that are additionally among the many most simply present in eating places and taverns in Lisbon and Porto.
1. Bacalhau à Brás
That is undoubtedly probably the most basic cod preparations in Portugal. Bacalhau à Brás is a stir-fry of shredded fish with onions, straw potatoes and scrambled eggs. Black olives and parsley are additionally added to the dish. Nham!
2. Cod with Cream
For individuals who like a extra sustenance meal – or are simply loopy about creaminess – the only option is the Bacalhau com Natas. The identify says all of it: flaked cod is gratinated with a big layer of béchamel sauce and cream, in addition to sautéed onions and potatoes. It comes out of the oven with a toasted crust!
3. Cod à Lagareiro
That is for many who do not miss a chance to grease their abdomen with a really tasty olive oil. Bacalhau à Lagareiro is made with fish slices virtually “drowned” in olive oil. Garlic chips (and typically a very good handful of coriander) boost this scrumptious dish, which comes with potatoes. One other basic!
4. Cod à Gomes de Sá
Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá is likely one of the most ready by the Portuguese at house. The fish chips are sautéed with garlic, onion and bay leaf. Then boiled potatoes are added. Ending with boiled eggs and inexperienced seasoning.
We’re speaking a few easy dish, however authorial: it was developed by the codfish vendor José Luís Gomes de Sá Júnior, in Porto, initially of the nineteenth century. a conventional Portuguese restaurant.
5. Cod à Zé do Pipo
One other dish with cod that comes from the town of Porto, Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo brings the fish within the au gratin model, now wrapped in a easy and engaging combination of mayonnaise with mashed potatoes. It’s served with black olives and inexperienced seasoning. One in every of my favorites!
Some extra trendy variations convey the puree with mayonnaise alongside the fish, as is the case with Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo on the Taverna D’Avó restaurant, in Porto. Check out this magnificence:
6. Cod Pastry
Pastel de bacalhau is ubiquitous in Portuguese eating places and is nothing greater than what we, right here in Brazil, know as “bolinho de bacalhau”. The pastry is crunchy. Inside, a delicate and engaging potato dough and many codfish. There are extra present variations – and even controversial among the many Portuguese – such because the codfish pastry through which Serra da Estrela cheese is added within the filling, bought at Casa Portuguesa do Pastel de Bacalhau, which has shops in probably the most touristic spots in Portugal.
7. Cod fritters
Cod pataniscas are additionally straightforward to seek out in Portuguese eating places. Cod chips are dipped in a mix of flour and water after which fried. Pataniscas are normally accompanied by tomato rice, one other conventional Portuguese aspect dish for seafood dishes.
And naturally, there are much more “puritanical” cod preparations, similar to cooked after which enhanced with olive oil and seasonings. There are additionally these typical of a restaurant, which have grow to be true flagships of the home, similar to Bacalhau à Tasca (from Tasca da Sé, in Lisbon) and Folhado de Bacalhau (from Tasca Ti Natércia, in Lisbon), through which the fish is wrapped in a really crispy puff pastry.
The place to eat cod in Lisbon
Cod dishes are current in virtually all eating places in Lisbon, from probably the most conventional to probably the most trendy, commanded by famend cooks. Under are a few of the greatest eating places to eat codfish in Lisbon:
- Ze da Mouraria: the normal and hearty Bacalhau à Lagareiro at tasca Zé da Mouraria is likely one of the greatest in Lisbon. The fish is bathed in a whole lot of olive oil, fried garlic, coriander and accompanied by mashed potatoes, chickpeas and braised cabbage. In September 2022, we paid €32.50 for Bacalhau à Zé da Mouraria (because the dish known as on the restaurant’s menu) – and we could not eat all of it for 3 individuals!
- Tasca Ti Natercia: Natércia does all the pieces there: prepares the meals, waits on the tables and collects cash on the register. To get one of many 4 tables that the restaurant provides, it’s good to make a reservation (or be very fortunate, arriving very early). One of many exclusives there’s Bacalhau Tinatercia (24 €), through which the fish is wrapped in a puff pastry, with a tomato sauce within the filling. Scrumptious! After we went, we additionally tried the scrumptious Bacalhau com Natas (11 €). Every dish serves not less than two individuals.
- The Cod Home: on this restaurant fish is served in additional than 20 alternative ways. One of the requested is the Cod with Broas, with a crunchy breadcrumbs on prime. One other dish that’s the home’s flagship is codfish with citrus puree.
- Market TimeOut: at Mercado da Ribeira, additionally known as TimeOut Market, in Lisbon, there are a number of famend eating places cooks that embrace cod on the menu. It’s price testing the preparations by Miguel Castro e Silva and Marlene Vieira.
- Laurentina – The King of Cod: Within the restaurant’s personal Instagram is the next description: we have now been serving high quality codfish since 1976. One of the requested dishes by prospects is Bacalhau à Brás.
- It is chilly: the century-old restaurant in Lisbon, opened in 1872, is legendary for its cod dishes, such because the reinterpretation of Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo.
- Photo voltaic Two Presumed: probably the most well-known marisqueiras (a restaurant specializing in seafood) in Lisbon can also be recognized for its glorious preparations with codfish. On the menu at Photo voltaic dos Presuntos the highlights are Bacalhau à Lagareiro and Bacalhau à Portuguesa, with onions, tomatoes, peppers and egg.
- D’Codfish: there are 15 totally different dishes ready with fish on the D’Bacalhau restaurant. Among the most requested there are Bacalhau à Brás, à Chef Júlio (with spinach, eggs, straw potatoes and cream) and Misto de Bacalhau (to style slightly bit of every: à lagareiro, com natas, à brás and com broa). ).
The place to eat codfish in Porto
- Hidden Cellar: probably the most conventional eating places in Porto has Bacalhau com Broa as one of many principal dishes. The clientele normally reward the service and the tasty dishes.
- Or fast: One other conventional tavern in Porto, positioned very near São Bento Station, Fast additionally has cod dishes on the menu. Monday is Codfish Spanish model (with tomatoes and peppers); Thursday is Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá day, and on Friday, Bacalhau à João do Grão and Bacalhau à Fácil are served (earlier than you go, test the menu on the restaurant’s web site).
- Adega São Nicolau: positioned subsequent to Cais da Ribeira, overlooking the Douro and Vila Nova de Gaia, the restaurant is thought for its codfish cake and codfish à lagareiro.
- The Codfish: ideally suited place to seek out totally different preparations of codfish in Porto. The Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo is one among their most requested dishes.
- Taberna D’Avó: once we went to Taberna D’Avó, we ordered the Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo and it was merely the most effective cod we have tasted in Portugal. Nicely served and very tasty, with a easy mashed potatoes and mayonnaise. It’s advisable to make a reservation, particularly in excessive season.
- Manel’s Tavern: on the banks of the Douro, in Vila Nova de Gaia, Taberninha do Manel provides tables subsequent to the sidewalk, with stunning views of Porto, the D. Luís I bridge and likewise the motion of the pier on the Gaia riverside. The menu there’s fairly different (we love the alheira and rissóis), however probably the most requested dishes is Bacalhau com Natas. This one:
Why is a lot cod eaten in Portugal?
The historical past of the Portuguese with codfish begins on the finish of the 14th century, when the Portuguese Navy found that the dried and salted fish was very effectively preserved throughout lengthy sea voyages. Within the following century, throughout their forays into the world’s seas, Portuguese navigators discovered cod-filled waters close to Canada and Greenland. That was when cod fishing started by the Portuguese – who had been expelled from the area within the sixteenth century by the French and English.
Nevertheless, it was solely within the twentieth century that the recognition of cod truly reached Portuguese tables. Through the Salazar dictatorship, a “cod marketing campaign” tried to revive the fishing trade and used cod as a nationwide image. Many Portuguese, actually, died on this arduous job of fetching fish on the excessive seas.
Presently, 70% of all cod consumed in Portugal comes from Norway. In keeping with estimates by the Norwegian Sea Merchandise Council (NSC) for Portugal, the nation consumes 70,000 tons of fish yearly, with 5,000 tons at Christmas alone.
Is cod a single fish?
5 marine fish could be marketed below the identify cod. The very best of all, additionally known as “the true codfish”, is the years of morhuanonetheless referred to as Porto Codfish.
The opposite species bought as cod are molva molva (Ling), which is narrower and has lighter flesh; The Inexperienced Pollachio (Saithe)with darker meat and fairly sturdy taste; The Tusk Tusk (Zarbo)broadly consumed within the Brazilian market, it’s principally used shredded; and the Gadus macrocephalus (Pacific Cod), just like Porto Cod, however cheaper.
And also you, are you an enormous cod fan? What’s your favourite cod dish? Do you will have any tips about the place to eat codfish in Lisbon or Porto? Take part within the feedback!